Thursday, May 12, 2011



This is one of first experiments with using encaustic mediums. I used beeswax mixed with damar resin and then red, green, blue, yellow and white encaustic paints, also pencil. It was really fun mixing the colored wax on the hotplate. Each stroke of the brush is a bit tedious as the wax cools very quickly. So you have to be pretty deliberate with your mark making. There can't be too much hesitation as to where your brush will go and if it will be the right color. I like the inconsistency of it. In some ways, it could be argued to be a bit stifling but I think I feel a lot of freedom in the fact that it somewhat takes the pressure off right/wrong, more rigid ways looking at the act of painting. It is difficult and you have to kind of back off sometimes and let it do it's thing a little and just be there.

This was taken just using my Iphone. I hope to get a better image up soon.

1 comment:

Tiffany Navarro said...

Excellent Kahtee baby. I like the way you used the materials AND I like the composition, drawing and colors.