Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"All I can do will only ever be a faint image of what I see and my success will always be less than my failure or perhaps equal to my failure. I don't know if I work in order to do something, or in order to know why I can't do what I want to do." -Alberto Giacometti

I did these little paintings in the dark one night at one of my last studio hangout sessions a while ago. It was an odd night. They were mostly musicians, artists, happy, lively and all I wanted to do was crudely draw them on the floor. Since I made these, the people I drew have all changed in a lot of ways, to me, a haunting reminder of the transient nature of things. That's what I like about making art because it has in it the energy of that unique moment in time that will never be again. I put these up on here to help me think more about why I make art in the first place. I think looking at those moments make me sad because the moment has sort of died but in this new moment I'm experiencing now when I look at them, it's still real and alive in a different way, I suppose.